September 3, 2019
Annual Report 2018: Overall Performance of the NTE Sector
- Non-Traditional Export (NTE) earnings in 2018 amounted to US$ 2.813 billion, representing 10% increase over the 2017 performance of US$ 2.556 billion.
- Between 2014 to 2016 YoY Growth of NTE was 0.3% driven by blip between 2015 and 2016 . 2017 growth over 2016 was 3.9%
- 2018 saw a significant growth of 10% over 2017
- The outstanding performance of exports in 2018 was primarily due to a 43.84% increase in exports of cashew nuts i.e. from US$262.95 million in 2017 to US$378.21 million in 2018.
- Cocoa derivatives contributed significantly to the 2018 kitty as in 2017.
- The contribution of the NTE sector to the overall merchandise export of Ghana was 18.83%, a little above the 2017 figure of 18.37%.
The Non-Traditional Export sector is made up of three sub-sectors, namely: Agriculture, Processed/Semi-Processed, and Industrial Art & Craft sub-sectors. The biggest earner in the NTE portfolio is the processed/semi-processed sub-sector. It contributed a massive US$ 2.208 billion (78.53%) to the whole NTE basket. This was followed by the agricultural sub-sector and the industrial art and craft sub-sector.