SECTOR CAPABILITIES - Banana from Ghana
Ghana is among the three countries in West and Central Africa which supply fresh banana into the European Union on preferential access basis. As a result, Ghana has taken advantage of this and has been supplying the EU market with good quality banana for well over a decade now.
There are currently two major producers and exporters of banana in Ghana: Golden Exotics Ltd. (GEL) and the Volta River Estates Ltd (VREL), both located in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
Ghana is endowed with the lands and climatic conditions for large cultivation of banana with at least six of the ten Regions ideal for its production. Banana is among the horticultural crops which have been prioritized for export development, and there are on-going government programmes to attract more investments into the sector. This makes Ghana a major supplier of quality bananas in West Africa, with huge potential to further increase production and exports.
Reasons to buy
Ghanaian banana provide the following superior benefits and advantages to you:
- The leading producers are GLOBALGAP and Fairtrade certified.
- Proximity of Ghana to the EU which is the country’s main market.
- Ghana enjoys tariff-free and quota-free access to the EU market.
- Ideal climatic conditions and irrigable lands for large banana plantation farming.
- New producer companies are entering into the banana sector in Ghana, which guarantees increased production and long term sustainability of the sector.
Show: Bomarts Farms Limited
Show: Wad African Foods Limited
Show: Golden Exotics Limited
Ministry of Food and Agriculture – MOFA
MoFA’s mission is to promote sustainable agriculture and thriving agribusiness through research and technology development, effective extension and other support services to farmers, processors and traders for improved livelihood.
World Banana Forum
The World Banana Forum (WBF) is a space where the main stakeholders of the global banana supply-chain work together to achieve consensus on best practices for sustainable production and trade. The belief is that collaboration is the key for progress.
The mission of the World Banana Forum is to:
- inspire collaboration between stakeholders that produces pragmatic outcomes for the betterment of the banana industry; and
- achieve consensus of best practices regarding workplace issues, gender equity, environmental impact, sustainable production and economic issues.
The WBF brings together retailers, importers, producers, exporters, consumer associations, governments, research institutions, trade unions, and civil society organizations.