SECTOR CAPABILITIES - Coconut from Ghana
Ghana is endowed with the ideal climatic conditions for increased production of coconut for both the domestic and foreign markets. The crop thrives very well in the tropical rain forest zone and along the coastal belt. It is usually grown in smallholder plantations in the six out of the ten regions of the country. Total annual production of coconut currently stands at approximately 229 million pieces of coconuts, equivalent to between 350 and 400 thousand MT (2017).
Currently the majority of coconut is consumed domestically, within Ghana. However there is currently a deliberate effort by the Ghana Government to promote expansion of the acreages under coconut cultivation to take advantage of the increasing demand in the international markets. To this end, Government is making short maturing, improved quality and disease-resistant seedlings available to farmers and farmer associations to expand their coconut farms. This intervention has caught on well with the generality of the farming communities. More details are to be found here: https://www.gepaghana.org/gepa-supports-coconut-sector-60000-seedlings/.
GEPA is currently strengthening coconut related sector associations by providing training programmes on e.g. business skills and organizational strengthening. There are two associations in Ghana representing the coconut sector:
1.Coconut Farmers Association of Ghana (COFAG)
The association brings together farmers and aims to produce quality coconut for exporters. The telephone number of the COFAG President is +233-204432676.
2. Coconut Producers and Exporters Association of Ghana (COPEAG)
The association represents the interests of producers and exporters of coconut. The telephone number is +233-244357229.
Reasons to buy
Ghanaian coconut provides the following superior benefits and advantages:
- Organic by method of cultivating.
- Availability of improved and high-yielding exportable varieties.
- Proximity of Ghana to the EU, which is the country’s main market.
- Strong and ongoing government support.
- Support from Research & scientific institutions.
- Ideal climatic conditions and irrigable lands for large coconut plantation farming.
- Rapid expansion in farm sizes across the six growing regions.
- More and more processing facilities are being set-up to do local processing.
Show: YENOK WOOD PRODUCTS LIMITED
Show: Danadams Pharmaceuticals Industry Limited
Show: SRIGHAN FARMS LIMITED