SECTOR CAPABILITIES - Mango
Mangoes from Ghana – exported in two seasons annually
Mangoes in Ghana are produced and exported in two seasons annually. April to August is the major season, while the minor season runs from November to January. Buyers have the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of mangoes exported from Ghana. Also, the industry has adopted general norms and standards. It serves as the basis for training farmers, exporters, pack-house operators and all other actors along the value chain to ensure high quality mangoes at all times.
Upgraded standards and new codes of practices for mango
As part of an ongoing upgrade of the country’s Quality Infrastructure, existing standards within the mango value chain have been reviewed and several Codes of Practice have been developed. This was done with the help of the Switzerland government and the United National Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
The upgraded standards and Codes of Practice were submitted for gazetting and publishing since the end of 2016. They include:
- GS 1125 – Specification for mango for processing
- GS 967- Mango Planting Material
- GS 969 Parts 1 & 2 – Good nursery Practices
- GS IM 3 Inspection Manual for the inspection of fresh mango
- GS 546 – Specification for mango
- GS CAC RCP 53 – Code of Hygienic Practice for fresh fruits and vegetables
- GS 717 – Specification for liquid pulpy mango Products Preserved exclusively by physical means.
Reasons to buy
Importing Ghanaian mangoes will give you several great certainties and advantages, such as:
- At least annual review of all process related activities to confirm GLOBALGAP and traceability
- The highest quality mangoes because of on farm pre-shipment inspections at various locations
- Fruits harvested at the optimum time of maturity
- Wide choice of mango varieties, including
- Tommy Atkins
Yilo Krobo Mango Farmers Association – YKMFA
A farmer based organization with in total 120 members of which 63 are GlobalGAP certified. The association supports its members in the production and marketing of fresh mangoes. Some of the advantages in dealing with the association include:
- Their high quality system
- Possibilities for long term contracts with reliable buyers
For more questions, send the association an email. Or check out their exporter directory with contact information.